End of US highway 113

View a map showing this route.

Additional research and/or photo credits: Nathan Edgars; Andy Field; JP Nasiatka; Steven Nelson; Alex Nitzman

Approx. time period North terminus South terminus
1926-1929 Dover, DE (south) Pocomoke City, MD (central)
1929-1936 Dover, DE (north) Pocomoke City, MD (central)
1936-1951 Dover, DE (north) Pocomoke City, MD (south)
1951-1960(?) Dover, DE (east) Pocomoke City, MD (south)
1960(?)-2004 Dover, DE (east) Pocomoke City, MD (bypass)
2004-present Milford, DE Pocomoke City, MD (bypass)

Ever since the advent of US highways in 1926, the south end of US 113 has been in Pocomoke City MD. Traffic originally came into Pocomoke from the northeast via what is now called Old Snow Hill Road and Linden Avenue.  Below we're looking south on Market Street/old US 13:

Google Maps Street View, July 2008

I don't know which road US 113 traffic used to connect to Market; my guess would be Clarke Avenue, and if correct, then the south beginning of US 113 was to the right. But already by the mid-1930s US 113 had been moved to what is now called "Bypass Road", which in turn connected with the northernmost segment of Old Virginia Road. US 13 remained on Market until around 1960, so for about 25 years, the south terminus of US 113 was a little further south and west of its current endpoint:

Nelson, Sep. 2007

That's the sign where US 113 (Worcester Highway) currently ends at its junction with US 13 (Ocean Highway). However, US 113 used to continue straight ahead on Old Virginia, ending at Market:

Google Maps Street View, July 2008

Back to the modern endpoint, the shot below shows the south beginning of US 113 as seen from northbound US 13:

Nelson, Sep. 2007


For nearly 80 years, the north end of US 113 was in Dover DE. Originally US 13 followed State Street through downtown. South of there, US 13 veered onto Governors Avenue and more or less joined its current alignment. But if you were to continue south on State, you would've been on the north beginning of US 113. The photo below is looking south on US 13, or Dupont Highway:

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007

Originally US 13 came in from the right on State, and continued straight ahead. To the left on State was the north beginning of US 113. Below we're on northbound US 13, which continued to the left on State...

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007

...but to the right on State was where US 113 originally began:

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007

In 1929 Governors Av. was extended north so that it could function as a bypass for State. Some maps indicate that US 13 traffic might have been moved to Governors at that time. If so, then US 113 might have been extended north on State, through downtown, ending where Governors comes back in. The photo below is looking south on State:

Google Maps Street View, Mar. 2012

Originally US 13 veered to the left, staying on State. But in 1929 it's possible that US 13 was directed to veer right onto Governors, and it may have been US 113 that began to the left.

But that would've lasted only until 1936 anyway, because at that time the northern segment of the DuPont Highway was completed, so US 113 traffic was directed onto it. Below we're looking south on DuPont:

Google Maps Street View, Sep. 2012

At the time, US 13 still curved to the right to follow State and/or Governors, and straight ahead was the north beginning of US 113. But in 1951, when the southern segment of DuPont was completed, that allowed US 13 traffic to bypass the downtown area. So US 13 continued ahead on DuPont, and US 113 was truncated to the point where Bay Road splits off. The photo below is from southbound US 13, at the former north beginning of US 113:

Nitzman, Apr. 2004

That's Bay Road to the left (that shot was actually taken after the US 113 designation had officially been removed from here; fortunately Alex obtained these photos before the signs were changed). Here's what that perspective looks like now:

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007

You can see the backside of that sign bridge in the photo below:

Nitzman, Apr. 2004

That sign is no longer there. The photo below shows how the first US 113 shield looked as one headed south from its former north beginning in Dover:

Nitzman, 2000


In 2004 DelDoT successfully applied to have the US 113 designation truncated to Milford, in order to eliminate the US 113/DE 1 multiplex. The photo below was taken from southbound DE 1:

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007

To the right is now the official north beginning of US 113. The sign in the gore points to the right and says "SOUTH US 113", and across from there is a "Begin" assembly, shown close-up below:

Field/Nitzman, Aug. 2007